Sometimes it’s a blessing to run out of a crucial ingredient in the middle of preparing a meal. I came up with this rich spread while making a lunch of Apple Sandwiches with Celery Pesto and found that I was out of parsley. Desperate I racked my feeble brain and came up with using pecans in place of the parsley. So here it is – enjoy!
Process in food processor until as smooth as possible but still a bit rough
- 1 cup chopped inner celery stalks with leaves if possible
- 1 cup broken or chopped toasted pecans
- 2 medium cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary (1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Pulse in 1/2 cup mayo or lo-fat cream cheese until blended.
Taste and adjust seasoning to taste. Place in fridge to thicken up.
Use as a spread on these sandwiches:
- cucumber & tomato
- soy sausage & apple
- chicken, roast beef, or turkey with Protein Bread or other bread substitute
Or thin with extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar to dress a green salad.