Cook 2/3 cup brown rice according to package directions using 1/3 cup vegetable broth and1/3 cup filtered water. Set aside, covered to keep warm.
Heat 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Stir frequently until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes, drained if canned
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cumin and crushed red pepper
Continue cooking, stirring often for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cooked rice, 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained & 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped. Cook over medium heat until heated through.