This is a tofu classic that has often been mistaken for the real thing in my house. The mustard and turmeric give it the right color, and the other ingredients provide the traditional flavor. Adapt this recipe to include your own favorite seasonings.
Combine in a medium bowl:
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons unfiltered, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder, or 1 – 2 tablespoons minced red or green onion
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup minced celery
1/4 cup minced green pepper
2 tablespoons minced pickles
Crumble 8 ounces firm or extra firm tofu into the bowl and mash together until the mixture is the consistency that you like your egg salad.
You can serve it immediately, but letting it chill for a few hours allows the flavors to meld better.
Suggestions for using Tofu “Egg” Salad:
- stuff celery sticks
- spoon on top cucumber slices
- Sandwich: spread mayo on whole grain bread, top with lettuce, tomato, sprouts, nondairy cheese and Mock Egg Salad
- spread onto a toasted whole grain bagel, English muffin
- spread onto a whole grain cracker