Next time you have a family movie night instead of noshing on chips set up a popcorn bar. Our favorite (and not just because its bealthy) is Newmans Own Organic Microwave Popcorn. Although I have noticed that since they’ve changed their packaging that their popcorn isn’t as good as it used to be, so I’m on the lookout for a new fave popcorn. Even so, it’s still better than any of the other trans-fat free, chemical free microwave popcorn brands. Or you could go old school and pop yours on the stove. An-n-n-n-yway, once you have enough popcorn ready for everybody set out bowls of items to mix with it, giving both savory and sweet options.
- chocolate chips (grain-sweetened)
- mini marshmallows
- shredded coconut
- cinnamon mixed with Sucanat, Stevia or coconut sugar
- chopped dried fruit
- Sunspire Sun Drops (refined sugar free M&M’s)
- sugar free hot chocolate mix
- syrup made by boiling equal amounts of honey and butter together (this is a quick way to make a healthy caramel corn)
- whole grain sweet cereal such as Barbara’s brand
- shredded Parmesan
- flavored extra-virgin olive oil
- flavored sea salt (try smoked, truffle or garlic)
- taco seasoning
Tip from the Trenches: wait for the popcorn to cool down before adding chocolate or marshmallows 🙁
Update: Newman’s Own Popcorn is no longer on our favorites list. The last few boxes we’ve purchased have not been up to par. We’ve since switched to pretty much any other brand of organic microwave popcorn. Same great taste that Newman’s Own used to have.