Breading for a Protein Meal
Can be fried in any type of oil, but olive or canola oil is the best.
The following (except for the soy flour) can also be used to substitute for bread crumbs.
- ground pork rinds – sounds gross but their slight bacon-y flavor works well in most recipes
- soy flour
- ground sesame seeds
- ground sunflower seeds
- ground nuts
- any mixture of the above
Crust for an entree
- If your recipe calls for a rice crust substitute textured protein granules, soy granules or finely chopped nuts. You may need to add extra moisture to hold the crust together. You can add water, softened or melted butter, broth, or just omit the crust.
- For recipes calling for a pastry crust substitute crepes or melt butter in an omelette pan, thinly coat bottom of pan with egg and cook until done; or butter pan and dust with finely grated parmesan cheese or just skip the crust.
Crust for a dessert
- For a crumb crust substitute ground nuts or sesame seeds mixed with a little soy flour.
- For a pastry crust substitute soy flour pastry in your favorite crust recipe or use a crumb crust.
- Frozen egg substitute or egg whites. Make sure that you buy the kind which has no additives.
- Substitute two egg whites for one whole egg in baked goods, except cookies.
- Use one whole egg and two to three egg whites and you won’t notice any difference in the taste.
- Baked Goods (these substitutions don’t work well for cookies, but work very well for cookie bars, cakes & pies.)
- Two egg whites for one whole egg in baked goods, except for cookies.
- Replace oil with the same amount of pureed Fruit. Pumpkin, and applesauce are the best because they are low in carbs, next on the carb count meter are dates and prunes and bananas are way too high in carbs to use when on a high protein diet.
- Replace white flour with soy flour.
- Replace sugar with Splenda, Truvia, Sweet n Low or Stevia if you’re trying to lose weight, Equal or other aspartame sweetener if you’re on maintenance. Experiment with the amount of sweetener that will work with your recipe. If you’re making a Fruit dessert add 1/2 teaspoon – 1 tablespoon baking soda before adding the sugar substitute. The baking soda counters the tartness of the Fruit, allowing you to add less sweetener.
- Don’t use sucrose, molasses, raw sugar or cane sugar. All of these will sabotage your carb count.
- Substitute cocoa powder and unsweetened or bittersweet (bittersweet does have some sugar though) chocolate wherever you can. Adjust the sweetener to compensate for the loss of sugar that would have been in the semi-sweet or milk chocolate.
Basic Protein Recipes
This bread is so easy to make I often make a double batch and spread the extra batter onto an oiled jelly roll pan or pizza pan. Bake the bread for 15 minutes and you’ve got a pizza crust. Yea, bet you thought you’d never eat pizza again!
- 2/3 cups soy flour
- 2/3 cups whey powder (found in health food stores)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sour cream, cream cheese, tofu or ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or melted butter
- 1-2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, swiss, mozzarella, parmesan, or whatever you have)
Mix all ingredients well and pour into well greased loaf pan. Bake in preheated 275 degree oven for one hour. Test with toothpick inserted into middle of loaf. You should see moist crumbs clinging to your tester but not wet crumbs. If the outside of your loaf is getting too brown cover the top with aluminum foil or if the sides and bottom are getting too brown. Take the loaf out of the oven. Let cool completely, carefully slice and spread slices out on an oiled baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees until bread is done.
- 4-8 slices crisply cooked crumbled bacon and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup chopped, sliced or whole black or green olives, use parmesan or mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs, or1 teaspoon dried herbs
Use nondairy cheese, cream cheese, and sour cream in place of regular cheese.
Substitutes for Bread Sandwiches
- cucumber slices
- lettuce leaves with filling inside)
- roasted eggplant slices (cut eggplant in 1/4″ slices, place on greased baking sheet, sprinkle with salt if desired, broil for 5 minutes on each side)
- carrots cut lengthwise into thin strips
- filled celery sticks
- sausage patty
- roll up inside deli-sliced meat or cheese
- a slab of cold meat or cheese
More Protein Recipes
Coming Soon: The UnDiet: 2 Weeks of Extremely Low Carb Menus & Recipes